Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Elizabeth I, The Lonely Queen?



A thing that called my attention about Elizabeth I was her Ladies in waiting and the relation with them.
I was surfing on internet and I found a definition about it. A Lady in waiting is : A lady of a royal court appointed to serve or attend a Queen, Princess, or high ranking noblewoman. A Lady in Waiting was not quite a servant. Ladies in Waiting were considered 'noble companions' who, by their status and nobility, could better advise a woman of high station.
 Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn, her parents.


Everyone needs a "circle of people", and especially if you are a Queen, but what about her family?
When Elizabeth was two years and eight months old, her mother was executed and her father died..
But also she had half-siblings, her half-brother, Edward VI and the Catholic Mary. However, after the death of his half-siblings, Elizabeth succeeded her half-sister.
In my opinion, with the information that I have, the things that I learnt and  the things that I read, I think that she was "alone".
By the way, she had a cousin, Mary the Queen of Scots, but they didn't have a "good relationship".

We saw in the movie the relation between the Queen and Elizabeth Throckmorton who was a Lady in Waiting & Maid of Honour and the wife of Sir Walter Raleigh. The Queen puts all her trust in "Bess", and she was very close to the Queen.

The reason why I chose this topic, is because I think that it's one of the cause of her temperament, personality and way of governing that she had.

She was so powerful, her kingdom was at its peak, but she was alone,






I want to share with you guys this website that I found, http://www.elizabethfiles.com/resources/elizabeth-i-facts/ , I really enjoyed reading facts about her.

Also I found a book called "Elizabeth's Women: Friends, Rivals, and Foes Who Shaped the Virgin Queen" http://pdf.pdfebookes.com/Tracy-Borman-PDF6-1067607/
I downloaded it and I can't wait to start to read it.




1 comment:

  1. I completely agree on the last thing that you wrote about her temperament. I believe all the things that are around you can affect in your personality, can affect in a part of who you are. Feeling lonely (rather than be alone) is clearly a pressure of being a Queen, because she had a lot of responsabilities, with no one to share.

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete